Nicest of the latest Kawais?

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 00:37:47 +0000

It's a while since I closed my showroom, so I'm a bit out of touch
with Kawai's latest developments as regards the professional ranges.
I used to sell mainly the GS-30, GS-40, GS-70 etc. and they were of
consistently good quality and improving all the time.  I also
specially imported an RX-A which is still local to me and which is a
lovely intrument, of which more than one professional has commented
that it's the best piano he's ever played.

I see there is now a whole gamut of RX grands.  Are these
"hand-crafted" like the RX-A and the EX or simply an improved
replacement for the GS range?  And most important, what are they like?

Then there is the new Shigeru range.  Is this, perhaps, the successor
to the RX-A, and what are these like?

Unfortunately Kawai's marketing in England has always been hopeless,
so dealers tend to go for only the cheaper ranges and I doubt if
there's anywhere that has the Shigeru in stock.  What is the selling
price in America of a Shigeru, say 6'6" to 7' long?

I'm asking this because I want to give a customer a comparison
between the cost of a fully rebuilt Steinway B and a brand new piano.

JD