Flag-poling: a way of life, or...?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:44:20 -0500

My experience is that Wim is right here. When I started tuning, in =
desparation to get the pitch I needed, I would try to bend the pin this =
way and that way. Never did work all that well. I still will push the =
pin up or down a little - but only as a tool to evaluate whether the pin =
torque is balanced - whether it is at restl, or stable. For the finest =
movement in pitch, I will sometimes used this bending action - but only =
if I am sure it is right in that small range where the pin is =
comfortably at rest (and any bending action I use is very slight - just =
a touch this way or that to see what the pin wants to do). Otherwise, I =
turn the pin and make sure I feel the little movement in the pin. I =
think the real danger of bending the pin, and the reason Randy points =
out this danger, is that some folks will try bending the pin for larger =
pitch adjustments and end up with a tuning pin not at rest and ready to =
jump back one way or another. I suspect the advice Randy gives is good =
advice for the beginner.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 2:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Flag-poling: a way of life, or...?

  In a message dated 11/25/01 3:25:42 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Tvak@AOL.COM =
writes:=20

    Flame me if you will, but I confess: I flagpole and I believe it =
helps me=20
    achieve a more stable tuning.  =20

    Any comments?=20

  There is a difference between flagpoling, and setting the pin by =
bending it slightly. To flagpole a pin to get the string in tune, but =
not rendering the pin is wrong. But to bend the pin and rendering it, or =
setting it, thus rendering the string, is the right. You need to know =
the difference.=20

  Wim=20