curiosity about a method of temperament tuning

JARickson@AOL.COM JARickson@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:46:22 EST

I think this method definitely has merit.  One must adhere to the general
boundaries of an equal temperment (contracted fifths, expanded thirds, etc.),
but I would be willing to bet that experienced, seasoned tuners have at some
point stopped conciously counting beats and just go by quick,
interval-quality judgements.  I think I have heard that Horowitz's (world
renowned, pianist super-star) tuner tuned his Stein. D soley by listening to
the quality of its fifths.
    Now, can someone learn from the begining to tune this way? I am not sure.
 I doubt anyone would could quickly learn to discriminate between the quality
of fifths. As far as a more generalized, hollistic aproach to tuning, I think
it is possible to tune this way.  Actually, in my humble opinion, in regards
to tuning the sixth and seventh octaves, it may be a better policy to abandon
traditional beat counting, which seems to create an exaggeratedly wide octave.