touch up concert tunings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:05:03 EST

In a message dated 11/27/01 10:26:32 AM Central Standard Time,
mcpiano@globetrotter.net writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if any of you charge less to go over a tuning just after
> rehearsal to clean up unisons. Do you charge a full tuning or what
> percentage do you or would you charge.
>
> I live only 3 minutes from the University and frequently do that kind of
> service. I usually won't spend more than 20 minutes including travel time.
> The pianos are tuned frequently and usually (yah right) are pretty stable.
> Do you think I would be cheating them if I would charge for a second full
> tuning?
>
> Thanks for the time you will take to answer my query
>

> Marcel Carey

Part of a tuning fee includes the time it take to get to the piano. That is
why I offer a 10% discount when I tune 2 pianos in one house. (I give a 20%
discount for a school or church with 4 or more pianos.) There is also the
concept that you should charge a minimum fee for a service call, which could
be a percentage of your normal tuning fee.

You have to ask yourself how much that time is worth to you. Would you charge
more if the concert hall was on the other side of town, and it took you a
half an hour to do a 10 minute touch up?

To answer your question, "Are you cheating them?" the answer is NO. You will
not be cheating them for charging anything for your professional expertise,
whether you charge a full tuning or not. But if you don't charge enough,
you'll only be cheating yourself. The other way to look at it is if you
didn't do this tuning, they would have to pay full boat to another
technician. So why not get that money yourself?

Wim