keeping glue in your car

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:40:29 -0500

I have read a number of good suggestions for the glue issue (strap 'em to
your body - oh, come on now!). The one below sounds to be really good for
extremely cold climates. I'm in Florida - not too many cold worries, but I
do have heat/glue worries. I simply place all glues in a small cooler and I
have NO problems at all (or at least not with my glues). I should think a
cooler would work fine in the cold - just bring it into the shop/home at
night. Like someone else suggested, on extremely cold days, toast up one of
those little gel packs, or some other heat source (even a milk carton filled
with water - just something to serve as a heat/cold sink/source - the more
stuff you have in there, the longer it will take to lower the temp.) - I
should think that would take care of anything. Lastly, those 12V coolers may
be the ticket if all the above still does not work. Take a close look at the
draw though, I had considered using a electric cooler at first, but
calculated that if I had a 3 or 4 hour appt, my car might not start. But
then again, I am a piano tech, not an electrical engineer.

Regarding the ice/blossom thing. The formation of ice does not release heat.
The ice forms on the blossom and the continuing watering prevents the ice
from getting colder. Therefore the blossom only gets down to 32 degrees F,
and most can withstand that. Joe and someone else covered the anti-freeze
thing. That is a no - no.

Good luck - stick your stuff in a cooler, and put a Dampp-Chaser
hygrometer/thermometer in it. I would be very curious to see if it really
gets too cold in there. My stuff sits in a 392 degree F car for hours and I
check it and none of the glue is even warm.

Terry Farrell