replacing upright liftrod hanger

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:22:44 -0500

Ron,

No, it wasn't a trick question.  The scenario is true.  The first time I came
across it, I removed the retrofit, cut a new dowel to the proper length, and
that seemed to work okay.  If no one else has seen this, then my only guess is
that a local retailer had this done to some pianos for some unknown reason.  I
can tell you, though, that this retrofit enables to dampers to have a LOT of
lift!

Actually, having said that I may have just had a flash of inspiration!  Maybe
the liftrod hanger was partially broken before it was completely broken, and
this was the way some previous tuner got all the dampers to lift far enough.
Apparently that worked for a while, but eventually that failed to do the
trick.  I might check this out with other technicians at our next chapter
meeting.  No doubt someone else ran into some of these pianos or maybe even did
the work.

Regards,
Clyde