Prepping the Piano for the Tuner - slightly OT

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:55:51 EST

In a message dated 11/30/2001 5:55:38 PM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time,
kam544@flash.net writes:

> I don't quite understand this scenerio, Bob.
>
> Was the aquarium actually blocking access to the tuning pins in some
> fashion?  Wouldn't a person be able to remove the music rack and commence
> tuning?
>
> Somewhat confused,
>
> Keith McGavern
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

Hi Keith:

This was the first time with this piano;  It was dirty and looked poorly
maintained including some rust on tuning pins and coils.  Broken strings was
the first thing that came to mind; secondly the soundboard had never been
cleaned  and was a good candidate for that service (including cathair and
other kinds of fur and plant droppings.  it was a mess!    Ever tried
replacing a string without lifting the lid?
That was the scenario.  I should have asked some questions before going out
on this call, but didn't.  I will next time.

Bob Bergantino