Broadwood Pics

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:48:44 +0100

Hey Terry:

Yes this is a bit of a project. I had thought about pulling out this panel and putting in a new, but I let myself get talked into just shimming it. I still am unsure of just what kind of crown these are expected to have. The soundboard has gotten reallllly scraped up, tho the lighting in the pictures make it look worse then it really looks. Still its pretty marked up. No other plate or iron anywhere
except a small wooden support  just front of the bridge coupleing the soundboard to the pin block.  This extends down to the keybed area and to the back wall of the instrument. I am not sure whether the builders were thinking acoustics or just plain structural strength in placeing this there.

I got a kick out of the way they "finished" off the soundboard under the plate. They didnt bother to make it cover the entire area towards the back right side. No biggie really as a large part of this is area underneath is a solid  six inches thick block of wood. But still...

Nothing over the pinblock.

This gets the SB shimmed and made beautiful to look at :), completly refurbished action, all new leathers and felts and re-felted hammers... the works... refurbished back action..., the key bed has a pair of ugly cracks in it I have to fill up. And the whole case will be French Polished as best as I can manage it.

The UiB wants to take it into use this fall along side of the newly aquired Hafner I mentioned the other day. Great fun, lots of work.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.