request advice on sostenuto trapwork design

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:46:46 -0500

List,

I am attempting to rebuild a 1920's 5' George Steck that is missing all =
sostenuto linkage between the pedal rod and pitman.  I'm unable to find =
replacement parts or pictures of the original replacement.  (Thanks to =
you all who looked for me a while back.)  So. . . it appears that I need =
to design some parts.  Being a novice yet, I have a few questions:

1.  What kind of pin should be used?  what diameter?  should it be =
plated?  (I can't find anything in parts catalogs.)

2.  What kind and size of felt is generally used in the bushings and =
what is the relationship of hole diameter in the block versus the pin =
diameter and felt thickness?

3:  Any thoughts on the spring rate of compression spring to be used?  =
Any good sources to purchase these?

Sorry if these questions are too basic.  If you have other thoughts or =
concerns I'll be happy to get them.  Thanks all.

Mark Ultsch
Madison  WI