String rollers

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 05:18:32 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Graeme Harvey <gharvey@netsource.co.nz>
To: Pianotech@Ptg.Org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 2:45 PM
Subject: String rollers

> Greetings all,
>
> How many among us use the string roller tools for stretching and settling
> new strings in a piano?
> I have one but rarely use it and I was reminded of it a few days ago when
> visiting a local retired tech. (Yes he gave me some piano materials he no
> longer required)
> He was saying that in his time (UK trained some years back now) it was
usual
> to really lay into the new wire with a string roller to remove as much
> stretch as possible. I tend to chip up daily for a couple of weeks and
then
> pound in a few tunings with the action in. I've noticed that the strings
> settle reasonably well this way without the possibility of over stretching
> the wire if that is possible.
>
> Any thoughts here?
>
> Regards,
>
> Graeme Harvey
> New Plymouth
> New Zealand

Rollers probably work fine, but after restringing, if you use the stringing
hook and a brass drift to help the wire make all its bends over aliquots,
around bridge pins, under capos and pressure bars or through agraffes, and
if you seat and squeeze hitch pin loops and tuning pin beckets, in other
words, accelerating the process of the wire finding its final position, then
you don't have to do near as much chipping.           --David Nereson, RPT,
Denver