String rollers

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:13:17 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> I can't say for sure, but I don't like the idea. It seems to me that
> putting four or five times the normal bearing load on the bridge edge, at
> an exaggerated deflection angle, has got to do damage to the bridge top at
> precisely the spot it can least afford to have damage done. I find that
> settling coils, squeezing loops, and prying or pulling strings to
> straighten them up around bearing points does a fine job of stabilization.
> I suspect that is what the roller is doing anyway, rather than taking
> stretch out of the string, only at more risk to the bridge.
>
> Anyway, that's my call.
>
> Ron N

I would have to by and large concur with this. At least as far as non judicious
use of the string roller or other such utensil is concerned. I dont use the
roller, but I do use a similar tool for strectching. I think the important thing
is to remember that if you are going to do this, dont put undue pressure on
termination points. The same thing really applies to string leveling tools.

btw.. when using the string stretching tool, I do just about exactly what Ron
describes above... I give a little sideways push at the bridge pins, and an
similiar slight push on the back length, and the waste length front of the front
termination and counterbearing. On uprights I also give a push at the front
termination, and on grands I use a string hook to accomplish the same thing here
in the process of string leveling.

jmv
--
Richard Brekne