String rollers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:36:44 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/01 3:58:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

> How many among us use the string roller tools for stretching and settling
> new strings in a piano?

I have used a string roller, but now I use a device that I copied from Greg
Hulme. It is a fulcrum type of device that pushes the strings up from
underneath, like a hammer would hit the string. I find it takes enough
stretch out of a string so that it will settle in with about 5 tunings over a
2 week period.  The piano still needs to be tuned 4 or 5 times in the first
year, but it has really settled in before it leaves the shop.

Willem