Numbers for the EBVT:Won't Work

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:49:34 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/01 2:33:34 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
 writes:

> As a precedent describing the value of simplification, Thomas Young,
> after positing the directions for achieving the idealized form of
> well-temperament, stated that almost the same effect could be achieved by
> taking two strings of fifths, one in which all were pure, and going the
> other
> way around the circle, 6 of them that were equally impure.  According to
> Jorgensen, he was concerned, in 1800, that tuners wouldn't use a
> temperament
> that was too difficult to produce.   I think the same is true today, and I
> haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

The EBVT is *very* easy to tune, easier really than the Thomas Young.  The
problem is that modern day techs have been scared away from anything that
isn't what they had originally learned (which is *much more difficult*) and
they have been offered the seemingly easy way out, the
tune-by-numbers-with-no-understanding-approach and been lured by it.

My method tunes the piano to itself, incorporating any and all of its scaling
quirks.  The tune by number method is anybody's guess, especially when the
7th octave calculation is overruled by an arbitrary amount pulled from thin
air in a by-guess-by-gosh, I-think-that-sounds-better experiment.

My system is proven and practiced and will have been in use a full 10 years
as my standard way of tuning the modern piano by the time of the 2002
Convention.  I'm not discounting the idea that the FAC program could be used
and modified to produce the same results but that would be an inefficient way
of accomplishing the same thing in a much simpler and surer way.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin