Numbers for the EBVT

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:59:37 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/01 2:36:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com (John M. Formsma) writes:

> Robert and Bill B.,
>
> Having your offsets (below my post) and Bill B.'s insistence that they won't
> work, I tried a temperament on a Steinway M today. I might not do EBVT
> correctly, as it seems to be rather elusive, but I have followed his written
> directions closely for some months and have a good working idea of the
> temperament as he wrote it. From your offsets, given my understanding of
> EBVT with the knowledge that Bill B. has not heard or sanctioned my
> rendition, the temperament did not sound like EBVT. It seemed close, but the
> tempered 5ths and 4ths were beating too fast.
>
> So, I tuned the EBVT F3-F4 octave and got the following offsets. The FAC
> tuning which was offset had the following numbers: F 8.5; A 8.2; C 9.2. I
> used the A4 from the FAC tuning, then tuned the rest aurally. Here are the
> offsets after measuring:
>
> F3    -0.3
> F#3    -1.8
> G3    +0.9
> G#3    +1.0
> A3    -1.9
> A#3    -1.5
> B3    -0.9
> C4    +1.5
> C#4    -1.7
> D4    -1.7
> D#4    -0.7
> E4    -2.8
> F4    -0.5
>
> Another way I measured was to turn the SAT II on and measure the notes in
> the tune mode. I don't know if that will be helpful, but here are the
> measurements:
>
> F3    -1.0
> F#3    -3.2
> G3    -0.5
> G#3    -0.4
> A3    -1.0
> A#3    -2.0
> B3    -3.0
> C4    +2.1
> C#4    -1.2
> D4    -0.3
> D#4    -1.2
> E4    -2.3
> F4    +0.8
> F#4    -1.0
> G4    +1.9
> G#4    +3.0
> A4      0.0
>
> Bill B., could you please use these offsets and the other measurements on a
> Steinway M to see if this is even close? Maybe then we could get closer to
> having more correct offsets.

John,

A cursory look at your figures says to me that you are correct in every
sense.  Perhaps your figures can be compared to Ron Koval's who I think may
have also come up with figures that work better.

I still don't see the value in using the FAC program however, because it will
never produce the same kind of octave arrangement that I do.   Your recent
description of how you visualize octaves works well with my method.  The FAC
program is nothing more than a guess which does not even attempt to make the
same kind of compromise.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin