Weird Frontweights

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 01:56:02 +0200

Bill Ballard wrote:

> At 8:18 PM +0200 10/7/01, Richard Brekne wrote:
> >Hi list... got done with that Seiler grand here a few days ago and
> >started going through all the origional numbers I taken down and the
> >more I looked at them the more I started scratching my head.....
> >wondering what the fellow who put this action together coulda been
> >thinking about.
>
> First question. Is there any sign that at least some of the courses
> of lead were laid out by pattern?

You know... I looked for anysign of some pattern that might have been
laid out... and I couldnt find anything that made me think there was any.
Looking at the leads as they were installed...or looking at the actual
frontweights... it just looked almost random really. Like I said the only
thing was that mostly the black keys were significantly higher then the
whites... but with more then just a few exceptions. I will jot down the
FW's tommorrow so you can take a look at them for yourself.

> Erratic FWs and pattern leading
> might seem incompatible, but some of the middle courses could display
> a pattern. Sometimes the course closet to the fulcrum is left up to
> the worker doing the balancing, but most often it'll be the outside
> course. I seem to remember that for some interval during the last
> fifteen years, Baldwin was sending its smaller grands out with 100%
> of their leading set by pattern.

sheeshhh... well if this is the result of some pattern leading... I fail
to see why they continue the practice. Whatever the reason was for this
mess, it failed miserably to provide any semblance of consistant
touchweight.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.