Weird Frontweights

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:30:08 EDT

 Richard writes:

<< To begin with... this was like a really heavy hammered instrument with
SW's nearly off Stanwoods charts. Frontweights were of course also very
heavy. But what struck me was the uneveness.... I mean there was
absolutely no hint of any method to the madness.<snipo>

     This is normal in many pianos. The lead is installed to take up the
uneveness in the geometry as well as weight of the components. Add in the
various levels of friction and 15 grams of FW variation are expected.

>>The only hint of
some pattern was that a lot of the black keys were heavier then the
whites... but even this had plenty of exceptions. <<

       I would blame this on the irregular strength of the whippen assist
springs.  In a production setting, the builders are looking at the most cost
efficient way of putting an action together that will not bring complaints!
Many pre-war Steinways exhibit the opposite, ie, the sharps have lower FW's
than the naturals.  go figure.

>>It all makes you wonder just what on earth kind of priorities led to
this mix match mess of weight distribution. >>

The FW;s are a resultant, based on the aforementioned parameters.  My own
personal experience is that a good action MUST have an evenly graduated line
of FW's, and the hammer weights too. This is too much to ask of most factory
settings,but it sure opens the door to lucrative business for the technician
that wants to learn Stanwood's procedures or develop their own.
  None of the NASCAR race cars have anything from the factory, high
performance usually requires aftermarket customization, and pianos are no
different.
  Rejoice, production sloppiness is great news for the careful action
rebuilder!
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT