Weird Frontweights

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:48:25 -0400

What an interesting concept! I am in NO way trying to put words in Del's
mouth - I am very interested in hearing his reply to you question. I will
speculate a bit though. I do not believe that in any way his comments
suggest Precision Touchweight is not valid. I believe his comments are
independent of Precision Touchweight, and he is simply stating that if an
action/belly is precisely engineered AND manufactured, that BWs, WBW, FWs,
other action geometry can be very predictable and as such, leading can
indeed be very predictable. I further suggest he is suggesting that a given
quality piano can be manufactured in such a way to give FWs (not counting
variances in action center friction) within a set range (and thus,
predictable leading). The range would simply depend on natural variations in
material densities, and whatever engineering and manufacturing tolerances
were allowed (and of course, these would be known).

In practice, certainly the Precision Touchweight has the potential to yield
more accurate results. But compared to the comparatively haphazard methods
of action/belly manufacturing in many plants, Del's engineered method would
yield much more accurate results than the 'individually weighing off keys' -
and likely up to a standard acceptable to most of the piano-buying public -
at a cost (just guessing here) of no more (maybe less?) than 'individually
weighing off keys' . But just think of the next time you do Stanwood's
Precision Touchweight on a piano that was engineered/manufactured to within
close tolerances like Del is suggesting (I think).

I hope I am not stepping on your toes Del. Just speculating and so very
interested in this subject. Ok, now put me in my place!

Terry Farrell