Piano Fiasco

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:55:33 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/01 7:28:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> Giving a value of a piano upon request is something most of us, or at least
> I, do regularly.  (snip)

I do too for items in the 3 figure range such as old uprights but never would
for any piano worth 4, 5 or 6 figures.  (My 6 figure appraisals alone cost 3
figures).

> If she volunteered the amount she paid and you thought it may be excessive,
> avoiding the issue with remarks about how nice of a piano it is would have
> been a much better thing to say."
>
> If you had read my original post and understood it, you would know that she
> specifically asked me what my opinion of its current worth would be. And I
> answered her with my best effort. Answering with "it's a nice piano" would

I certainly did understand your post.  If I had been asked the same question,
I would not have given a numerical answer.  I've been in the business long
enough to know what the consequences of doing so would be.

Thanks, Wim for your answer.  Be careful, Terry, before you *fully disclose*
yourself right out of business.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin