Planer and keytops

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:47:06 -0400

>Has anyone used an electric planer for dealing with removing the top
>layer of keytops when replacing ivories with plastic?  Every
>reference I've found suggests using a router instead.  Just curious.
>
>Todd McNamee, Portland, OR

Todd,

I also use the Wagner planer in the drill press.  I have very few
problems with chipping the edges.  Just be aware of the direction of
the rotation.  It's best to cut into the wood instead of away from it.

Also, I don't think it is important to take away a lot of the surface
of the key top.  I remove the key top and then use the planer to
clean off old glue and get a clean, even, and square surface.

One more thing, don't try to cut too much in one pass.  I find it
works better to make a couple of passes.

peace,
chris

--
-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.