Piano Fiasco

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:13:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/01 10:32:59 PM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

> The latest price list that
> I have says the MSRP is 34,769...while I am sure that 'most' dealers would
> work with a customer on that price............... it 'is clearly' not the
> 38,000 as advertised.

Although I think Terr'y customer did pay too much, one thing we all need to
understand is that the MSRP is just that. A SUGGESTED retail price. The
manufacturer doesn't tell the dealer what to sell a piano for. The Ancott
Book is very valuable, but we should not consider those prices as the actual
selling price.  Some dealers will use that book to show a customer what an
independent company has determined what the piano should sell for, so that
the customer, when given a much lower price, is "impressed" with the
discount.

The dealer is under no obligation to tell a customer what was paid for the
piano. Nor is he under any obligation to tell a customer what the MSRP is. If
the dealer had told the customer a new piano was worth $30,000, and the
customer agreed to pay $19,000 for a 10 year old one, would she have been as
upset about this transaction? Probably not. (But then she might not have
bought it in the first place.) I don't think we should put all the blame on
the dealer for selling the piano for $19,000. I think the customer should be
faulted for not doing her homework, and paying too much.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wim