Planer and keytops

Randy Rush randyrush@earthlink.net
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 13:21:03 -0700

Bill,

Actually, you only need to take off about .030" on average to equal the =
ivory thickness.  In fact, you can take off less, get a cleaner cut, go =
faster, and still not run into regulation problems (maybe about .020").  =
The only thing you have to watch out for is not leaving so much of an =
overall key thickness that you have to start messing with the nameboard =
strip/ fallboard height.  You CAN run into regulation problems if you =
take off too much (voice of experience speaking).

Randy Rush, RPT
Seattle

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:53:55 EDT
From: Bdshull@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Planer and keytops

In a message dated 10/12/01 5:14:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
cgregg@cadvision.com writes:

<< Also, I don't think it is important to take away a lot of the surface =
of=20
the key top.  I remove the key top and then use the planer to cleanoff =
old=20
glue and get a clean, even, and square surface.  >>

Chris,

<<<Don't you want to achieve the same overall height as with original =
keytop? =20
That could mean removal of .040-.050" of wood if the original was ivory. =
 Any=20
different dimension then the original and you run into regulation =
problems.

Bill Shull