Keytop routing techniques

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:50:32 -0400

At 09:29 AM 10/14/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>List,
>Since the thread has been keytops, I would appreciate some input. I just
>started doing my own keytops with the aid of an Olsland machine.  I
>acquired the planer/resurfacer and the notching machine.
>The question I have is seems to be finding the safest and best way to
>route down the the long edges. Some use a laminate router bit with guide
>and some use a sanding disc.
>What's the consensus out there?
>Also what is the keytop cement of choice.  I was introduced to using
>acetone and a melted plastic keytop made into a honey viscosity
>consistently.  Within 30 seconds the bond is strong.  The downside is you
>have to be extremely careful not to transfer any acetone anywhere near the
>surface of the key or the finish will be marred.
>So bring it on.  Would be interested in your comments on learning the
>tricks of the trade.
>Tom Servinsky,RPT

For glue, I use PVC-E. This makes a flexible joint to allow for the
different expansion and contraction rates of the joined materials.
Melting the keytop to the keystick with the acetone/plastic mixture may
cause the keytop to crack when the wood expands with a
humidity increase while the plastic remains rigid.

The PVC-E glue also wipes off the surface without etching.

I prefer routing or filing the edges over the sanding disc. It is too easy
to remove too much material with a sander.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage2001@mediaone.net