Upright hammers/touchweight

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:15:37 -0700

List,
Years ago, I decided to replace a set of those BIG balloon 14lb. hammers, on
a full size upright, with 16lb modern pressed hammers. VERY LARGE MISTAKE!
That piano played like a truck! And the centerpinning was extremely
critical! The touch was very slow in response. Granted, the piano had a very
big sound, (which is what the owner wanted), but repetition was markedly
slower. I won't do that again! After about 6 months, the owner had me
replace the hammers with 14lb and everything went back to normal. Of course,
it no longer had that bombastic sound, but, at least it played "up to
speed". FWIW
Regards,
Joe Garrett, (Oregon)