Planer and keytops

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:16:39 -0400

Brian,
    You might ask Bill Spurlock to send you a jpg of what he uses. It's
a homemade system that has all you need for a set of keys. I bought
something from the back of the Journal once that uses a router to
resurface. It has it's pluses and minuses. Essentially it is 2 rails of
1x8 aluminum suspended over a block of wood that the key is side clamped
onto. The router rides on the rails above the key and trims them to the
height that you desire. The problem I have with this jig is that it
needs some modification because the key is pushed sideways by the toggle
clamp and flexes a piece of angle iron that is used to keep the key
square to the block of wood and also the rails above. This is a problem
because the keys are not trimmed square now. I also had difficulty twice
now where the clamps rubber tip didn't hold the key securely and it
climbed right up into the spinning but. Some fun repair there I can tell
you. I'm convinced that the basic system is good but modifications are
necessary. Perhaps Spurlocks system addresses this.

happy trimming!

Greg