Noric Convention.

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:13:01 +0200

List

These past 4 days have seen most of our towns technicians travel to
Stockholm for the annual Nordic Piano Convention. The Swedish
association took their turn this year at arranging the affair and did a
super job of it. They had a super line up waiting for us, and quite
varied as well. Anders Askenfelt, Juan Más Cabré, Dietrich Dotzek
(coming president of the Euro Piano Association), and Rune Andreasson
(one of Scandinavia's finest) all gave great lectures that were of
tremendous interest. We had top notch  lecture and demonstration of
Historical Temperaments using harpsichords  along with an informal
concert from two of Sweden's most interesting and enthusiastic HT boys
(Hans Erik Svensson & Leif Grave-Müller) , and a unique approach to
demonstration and following concert of grand piano concert preparation
by one of Europe's best concert technicians.... Steinways own Bernd
Staudenmeyer. Up in all this I got to make my debut as a lecturer giving
an hour long introduction to the Stanwood approach to action balancing
(Touchweight design). I have to admit I felt very small and
insignificant alongside such esteemed members of our greater Piano
industry family.

In addition the convention was attended by none other then Alex Galembo.
This famous Russian acoustician / piano friend has been one of the most
important contributors to piano acoustic scientific study and literature
in our time. One can only hope that his many papers and books will
someday be translated to English and other languages and saved for our
collective use and enjoyment. I got to talk to him for about 20 minutes
(grin... one on one by ourselves even) and I can tell you I was just
thrilled.

All in all a wonderful weekend that once again demonstrates beyond any
doubt at all what a benefit it is to become a part of associations like
the PTG, the NPTF, and all our sister organizations around the globe. I
think back to the time where I sat and thought I was "just as good as
any of those others" and didn't need or want to hang out with the "club
boys and girls" . How very very foolish I was. And how very very glad I
am to have been fortunate enough to been given a wake up call a few
years back.

Thanks again Sweden !! You guys and gals put on a great show !!
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.