SV: keytops (Question)

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:01:28 +0200

Hi,Richard!

I usually saw off the old material:

The new keytops (plastic) are in most cases thicker than the old ones, and
some wood must be removed to get the same level (height over keybed) as
before. If I just peel off the old keytops to glue on thicker plastic-tops,
extra work must be done to level the black keys 12 mm higher than the white
keys. A lot of additional paper under the black keys also gives a more
unstable levelling of the keys.

Because I always use new keytops with front (all-in-one), I prefer the
sawing-technique to compensate for the (in most cases) increased thickness
of the new fronts. If the old keytops can be removed very easily, I
sometimes remove them before sawing...

Kjell Sverre

Kjell Sverre Fardal, NPTF
ksfardal@online.no
Kristiansand / Norway

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]På vegne av
Richard Brekne
Sendt: 15. oktober 2001 09:26
Til: pianotech@ptg.org
Emne: Re: keytops (Question)

I hear a lot of folks talking about using routing or sawing techniques in
some
way for removal of old key tops / fronts in preperation for renewal.

I would like to hear a bit about why you all do this instead of using some
form of heating up the the old keytops so as to "peel" off the old top /
front
material.

thanks
RicB