sqeaky Langer actions

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:45:20 -0400

Ron,
I've found this to be a problem on quite a few Walter uprights, the
one I own included. Try checking the damper lift spoons. They may have
not been pressed far enough into the whippen, causing the top of the
spoon to scrape across the bottom of the damper lift rod. Inspect the
bottom of the damper lift rod for signs of contact
You may have to replace the bushing cloth in the damper lift rod
hinges,there  may be to much glue in the bushing cloth. I have found
lubes to work great in the short term but the only real fix to replace
the bushing cloth.

>>> "Ron & Lorene Shiflet" <rshiflet@eaznet.com> 10/16/01 10:50AM >>>
Liszt,
I've ran across a consistent problem in Langer actions in that they
squeak. The problem seems to be in the dampers. Typically, the action
will squeak when the damper pedal is depressed. I usually pull the
action, remove the damper lifter rods and lubricate the bushings with
petroleum jelly. Mostly this is done on Charles Walter Pianos but I
have done it on some of the Kimballs with Langer actions there at the
end.
I did this on a Walter about 3 months ago and it's squeaky again. Any
suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.3019.2500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=1>Ron,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>I've found this to be a problem on quite a few Walter
uprights, the one I own included. Try checking the damper lift spoons. They may
have not been pressed far enough into the whippen, causing the top of the spoon
to scrape across the bottom of the damper lift rod. Inspect the bottom of the
damper lift rod for signs of contact</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>You may have to replace the bushing cloth in the damper lift
rod hinges,there&nbsp; may be to much glue in the bushing cloth. I have found
lubes to work great in the short term but the only real fix to replace the
bushing cloth.</FONT><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Ron &amp; Lorene Shiflet"
&lt;rshiflet@eaznet.com&gt; 10/16/01 10:50AM &gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>Liszt, <BR>I've
ran across a consistent problem in Langer actions in that they squeak. The
problem seems to be in the dampers. Typically, the action will squeak when the
damper pedal is depressed. I usually pull the action, remove the damper lifter
rods and lubricate the bushings with petroleum jelly. Mostly this is done on
Charles Walter Pianos but I have done it on some of the Kimballs with Langer
actions there at the end. <BR>I did this on a Walter about 3 months ago and it's
squeaky again. Any suggestions? <BR><BR>Thanks <BR><BR>Ron
<BR><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>