Steinway hammer alignment

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:46:02 -0400 (EDT)

  A newly aquired "D" I recently wrote of also has
the hammers set to the left a significant amount.

 I spoke with the person who set it up. He assured me
this is how they do it in the factory. Also our local
Arts Center tech. whom manages some serious orchestral
stuff had a look for me, notice the offset and said
"thats one way to do it."  News to me.

                      David Renaud
                      RPT
--- A440A@AOL.COM wrote: oleg writes:
>Beside, the normal place for hammers of the
>Steinway is slightly to the left, allowing for a more
quick left pedal (una> corda) effect, while
protecting the hammers to go to far on the left if
the piano stay a long time on his side. >>
I believe that this is the Hamburg style, but the
New York Steinways are supposed to have the hammer
meeting the string with more felt on the treble side.
This allows the una corda to actually function as a
,umm,  well, a duo corda....