spacing the Steinways(was sumpin else)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:42:27 EDT

Mark writes:
<< on "how to use the tubular
rail creatively".  I never would've thought of that approach, and it just
may solve my problem with the least amount of hassle. >>

ah, hassle, I know it well.  I didn't completely describe the way I repaper
rails, but will add this.  A cordless screwdriver, with a toggle switch for
the forward/reverse directions is indespensible!. It makes it very fast to
remove and replace the screws. a powerful one CAN strip the threads, but if
you hold them very lightly, the torque will twist the tool in your hand when
it hits bottom, and if you are sensitive to it, you will quickly learn to let
it go in time.  For flanges that need only traveling, or can be spaced with
just one piece of tape, the screw doesn't need to come all the way out, but
rather, just far enough to allow insertion of the tape.
   I cut  paper strips from a roll of brown packing tape about 18 inches
long.  I use a variety of widths, from a little less than1mm to perhaps 3 mm.
 The wider the strip, the more effect it has on the flange.  If, after your
first pass through the piano, marking which hammers need to go which
direction,(I use a little chalk mark on one edge or other of the key, heavier
for the far out of alignments, lightly for the subtle changes),  you find
that the only movement needed is very slight, bring the paper in from the
corner a little. The closer to the center of the flange, the less effect it
will have. (obviously, if you have two strips, centered on the flange, it
will do nothing!) I also lick them before installation so they stay ON THE
FLANGE!
   Leaving the long strips hanging out of the fronts of the flanges helps me
remember where I am when the phone rings, etc.  As a section is finished, I
tear them off under the front edge of the flange.
Good luck.
Ed