player piano vacuum motor noise

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:47:21 -0400

At 12:35 AM 10/17/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>The noise from my client's vacuum motor in her Scaffer and Sons player
>piano has increased through the years. The motor is housed in a small
>particle board box and is producing a "hum" that is quite pronounced over
>the sound of the piano. I haven't found any major leaks in the box and the
>rest of the player works fine. How can this be remedied?
>Thanks,
>John

Replace the motor. Or if you are ambitious, try replacing the motor bearings.

Installation of a rheostat will decrease the motor noise and well as the
volume at which the player operates.
If there is a volume control already, turn it to a lower lower.

I have not seen one of these pianos to know the specifics, so this is just
general player knowledge.

Depending on the age and usage of the player it may be time to replace the
box entirely, it is simply
a vacuum motor enclosed in a box and has a shorter life due to the
restricted air flow causing it to
run hotter than it's intended purpose (vacuum cleaner).

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage2001@mediaone.net