Running CA (& Arthritis)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:37:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/01 10:56:24 AM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

> I once drew the  line at doping pinblocks, (snip) CA is a
> wonderful thing to put into a pinblock. (snip)

Like I said, a time and place for everything.  My preferred use for it is to
take the pin all the way out, swab the hole with medium or thick viscosity
CA, then reinsert the pin.  With potentially fragile pinblocks, the old pin
slips in easily, not damaging the material.  The coating of CA fills in weak,
cracked or mealy areas and provides for a uniform grip when the curing begins
to occur, which is within a few minutes.  In my view, this is *kinder and
gentler* to an old piano or any piano with just one or a few loose pins.

>     The Gold Bond brand of CA doesn't have any fumes, and is described as
> nontoxic. (snip)  Anybody know more about the chemistry of the kicker?

This is too good to be true.  I hear from some that CA is toxic yet it is
used in surgery.  Is it just the fumes that are toxic?  Is it just when the
"kicker" is used?  As I have read, the "kicker" (catalyst) is 1,1,1
trichlorethylene, which is a solvent.   I don't know about acidity but I did
notice that it was the carrier for the insecticide in a can of wasp and
hornet nest killer I used a couple of years ago.  I have found that other
solvents such as dry cleaning fluid will react with CA.  (Just watch what
happens if you try to clean up a CA spill with a shop rag which has been
cleaned with solvents!  You get a chemical fire!)  Acetone, which is also a
water mixable solvent will debond CA.

<<I would never have gone machine if arthritis hadn't forced me
to give up the handplay in aural tuning.>>

Debate about Aural vs. EDT tuning aside, I strongly suggest anyone with any
arthritic condition which causes impairment to look into some of the
treatments that are available today.  First of all, there are medicines that
are remarkably better than any previous ones.  I see TV commercials for them
as I watch the morning news:  Vioxx and Celebrex.  A physician has to
determine if they are appropriate for you but if they are, they can relieve
the pain that causes impairment and limitations with very few side effects.

There are also some high tech surgical techniques which leave no large scars,
do not damage nearby tissue and from which recovery time is much faster.
With Arthroscopic surgery, bone spurs and other kinds of arthritic conditions
can be corrected.  There are also injections that can be given which are long
lasting in their ability to provide for pain relief and full function.  They
only need to be repeated when they wear off.

These medicines and techniques are expensive, however.  Just be sure you are
aware of what your insurance will cover and what it will not.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin