Cold

Jere Fryett jfryett@minot.ndak.net
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:19:55 -0500

List,

A lady called me today asking about the effects of cold on her piano.  I
know that it is not real good but did not know the specifics on why.  It
seems that she will be going south for the winter and wishes to turn off
the heat in her home during that time period.  Here in North Dakota it can
get and stay below zero for several days at a time.  It can be as low as
-40F.  How low can the temperature go and stay for extended periods of time
before it becomes harmful to her piano?  What precautions should be taken
to protect the piano from the cold?

Thanks,

Jere Fryett
Assoc. Member  ND