more on this temperament thing

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:28:20 EDT

Tom writes:
<<  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't be safe to say that one of the

underlining reasons Well-Tempered and Mean Tone Tempered tunings were

mandatory in their days, irate beat structures in some of the keys were one

of the only features which demonstrated excitable sound change.  <<

    I certainly agree that "irate" beating adds a dimension of its own.
There is scientific proof that a majority of listeners are stimulated by
dissonance and sedated by consonsance when exposed to intervals that are
tuned, respectively, Tempered or Just.
    However, rather than holding that there were"mandatory" tunings in
previous eras, I believe that there was a tremendous amount of variety within
 distinguishable genres, plus regional differences in the chronological
evolution of temperament.  We mark these distinctions by the writings of the
theroists, instrument builders, and (rarely) the composers and musicians.
    Viewed from Pythagoras on, the last 300 years of keyboard tuning exhibit
the historical norm, in that they represented the latest that technology had
to offer.  History shows that technology has always had strong and immediate
effects on Western music's intonation.  There is a curve there that can be
viewed as a long continuous, albeit irregular, change of increasing
complexity.  Not only do the instruments, composers, and music  show the
influence of each technological change,  the documented progression of
temperament reflect these changes too.
      As an example, I would offer that the Romantic composers may not have
been inspired to create such washes of sound if their instruments had no more
sustain than a harpsichord.  Their compositions were in some degree
influenced by those new, big grand pianos that were being developed.  By the
same token,  Stravinsky would have not written the way he did if there was a
41 cent wolf in the middle of the scale.
      Until the ability of tuners to produce equal temperament coincided with
the composers evolving beyond tonality-based creations and wanted equality,
what we call well-tempered was the coin of the realm, even in all its
dominations.  It is hard to imagine that Mozart or Schubert composed as
though all keys had the same harmonic nature.

 >>With today's instruments with incredible  volume and

tonal capabilities combined with an EXTREMELY WELL TUNED ET,equal

temperament is still  as an extremely refined, flexible, and finely

constructed temperament capable of demonstrating and capturing the FULL

range of music in all keys.<<

     Here I must respectfully disagree.  The Full range must be defined by 14
cent thirds??  I think not.  ET only has one harmonic character in its
thirds, how could this possibly capture and demonstrate what Beethoven was
doing when he modulated?  Imo, it doesn't, it only suggests the move from
consonance to dissonance and back again.  It does not offer the various
levels of emotional manipulation(measurable) that are physiologically
demonstrable with a variety of sizes of like intervals.  Consider that C
hopin's music on a WT often produces a pure melodic line over a very tempered
harmony.  This results in a musical texture that cannot be produced when
everything is tempered alike.  Does it sound better?  I can't answer that for
anybody but myself, but since I have a tuning hammer, I have the choice of
what I want to sell.
    It may be that the dissonance, in and of itself, is unpleasant to the ear
that expects it to be, or to the ear that expects something else,  but this
is getting into the "meaning" of music, and that requires we understand that
"meaning" is a product of a message being received.  It is NOT a unique
property of the message.  Thus,  the listeners' expectations have a lot to do
with the creation of meaning, and it is at this point that the technician's
presentation sets the stage for the customer to derive "meaning" from a
different tuning.
    I don't know how else to explain why some techs have had no success
promoting a change, and others have set their clienteles on fire!  Both Ste
inway artists here in Nashville have told me they are never going back to ET
for pre 1885  music.  This is more than smoke and mirrors, more than a "king
has no clothes" phenomenom.  I didn't really sell them on it, they came to
these conclusions from playing their pianos.
   On a side note, it seems to be so easy to polarize the discussion along
lines of HT tuners and ET tuners.  This is a dead-end road.   My objective
was to draw the distinction between multi-temperament tuners and those that
only tune one way.(note, I am not saying which way).  The
multi-temperament-aware tech has more tools in his tuning toolbox, how they
are used determines his results.
    An ancient Oriental saying applies, here. It says that the superior
warrior has no favorite weapon. I don't have a favorite temperament, I have a
lot of them and I use them all in a variety of situations.  The most
surprising is that the local jazz club has a Young on the piano and pianists
that never heard of me or the temperaments just love the sound.  I haven't
said a word, rather, I just let the sound do the heavy lifting.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT