more on this temperament thing

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 02:52:54 -0700 (PDT)

> another?  I have noticed, when I was newer in this
> business, that the
> piano sounded fine when I quit tuning, but actually
> sounded better (to
> me, anyway) the next day, and upon checking with my
> accutuner, the pitch
> had shifted somewhat..

Clark,

Maybe this is the Weinreich phenomen again, that is
the piano actually sounding better when all the
unisons are not quite 100% on.  It doesn't happen on
all pianos, and tends to be more apparent on better
quality instruments for some reason.  If everything is
tuned to 100% accuracy, then the improvement comes
after the passage of a little time, maybe a day or two
when there is just enough shift to allow this to
happen.

Bob Wilson,
London.