Running CA

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:31:10 -0400

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:25:09 -0400 Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
writes:
> The tilter I use is in the current Schaff catalog and is called a
> "modern shop repair truck," priced at $235 plus freight.  I bought
> it
> several years ago and have used it maybe ten times.  It did not
> come
> with a strap, and I may live to regret saying this, but I have
> never
> felt the need for one.  Has anyone had a piano scoot out with this
> exact
> piece of equipment?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde

Hi Clyde -

I think the only problem is when there is too much play between the toes
and the bottom of the piano floor when you hold the tilter stright up
from the back side of the piano.  The back casters will be contacting the
floor for too long before the toes engage the bottom.  The piano could
easily slip away from you.  Happened to me once, and once is enough.

 My solution has been to place a piece of 5/8" plywood, approx. 3 " wide
and 6-10" long, between each toe and the bottom board of the piano.
Depending on the height of the piano floor, I sometimes use thicker or
thinner stock.  The idea is to eliminate any play between the toes and
the bottom board, so that the tilter is in contact with the piano's
bottom as soon as the piano is started onto it's back.  Has worked great
for over 20 years of alot of tilting.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com