more on this temperament thing

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:29:19 -0500

Richard,

<<I thought I would comment on the paragraph below tho... as it seems that
Bill B
has made a pretty good point about the general lack of true ET in the USA,
which
is probably pretty much the same everywhere. I wouldnt be suprised to find
his
"reverse well" position to be very close to the truth.>>

On the church organs that I check pitch, many of them have slow Ab-C and
B-D# thirds, and the C-E third beating faster than all the rest. Some of the
fourths and fifths beat quite rapidly as well. This *may* be due to the
pitch changes that organs experience, but I've seen it the day after the
organ tuner left too.

<<Perhaps one of the most important reasons to start on the road to learning
HT's
is that it forces one to become more conciously aware of certain tuning
concepts
that are otherwise easily neglected, and that represents in reality a great
value
to our tuners toolbox. It helps us to make much more concious choices
regarding
what we do, and why we do it.>>

This is an important point, and it certainly has made me more aware of the
various choices in tuning. I've also noticed that my ET tunings have become
better in the process--er, rather have become truly equal.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com