"100% on" unisons--was more on this temperament thing

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:29:16 -0500

<<...that is the piano actually sounding better when all the
unisons are not quite 100% on.>>

We had some discussion of this some time ago on the list. It does add to the
presence (and color) of the piano if the unisons "bloom" as opposed to being
still and lifeless. I have been thinking of this for the past several days.
What would be an interesting experiment for CAUTs would be to gather a group
of pianists--teachers and students--and experiment to determine what sound
they prefer. As tuners, we should be mindful that musicians might prefer a
different sound that what we as tuners prefer. E.g., as Ed Foote has pointed
out, some musicians seem to prefer HTs over ET. Therefore, it behooves us to
know what pianists like.

The experiment could go something like this, using the same piano or
different ones: 1) Have a totally beatless, dead-on unison. Compare that
with unisons that have very, very slight "bloom" and larger "bloom," and
even 1/2 bps unisons. Then you could apply that same theory to octaves. Play
totally beatless octaves, then move to octaves whose unisons have "bloom."
Then you could experiment with octave widths.

If I had access to such a group of pianists, I would love to try that
experiment to see what they like best. Have any of you CAUTs tried something
like this?

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter