more on this t..AAHHHAAA!

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:18:23 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/01 2:27:27 PM, drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

<<  What an alternate temperament gives a composer or
a pianist is like a painter's pallette;  more tone color to play with.  >>

OK.  Let me come clean.  I've been a professional pianist my whole life.  I
have perfect pitch.  I have a Master's Degree in Music.  I am also a
published composer with performance credits including the Chicago Symphony
Orchestra.  (And yeah, I tune a couple of pianos now and then.)  So when
people start talking about Chopin and the use of
temperaments-other-than-equal, I thought I could speak with authority about
it.  The use of other temperaments has always interested me, but I just
didn't think it would work especially well for Chopin.

So I followed Ron Koval's offset chart for an Equal-Beating-Victorian
temperament and tuned my Baldwin grand in EBVT (offsetting it from ET with my
Cybertuner).  Now it was my first try, so I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but
WOW, it was beautiful!  Chopin, too.  Chopin, especially!  I played for about
an hour and was later getting to the store than I had hoped.  Every chord had
more color and character than I'm used to hearing.   I always assumed that
the chords farther from the tonal centers of C or G would be really out, but
that wasn't true, at least with my experiment.  I played one piece that
knocked me out when it modulated to another key.  It was like going into
another world!  And isn't that what the composer would have wanted at that
time?  I think so.

So I gotta take back my comments about the appropriateness of other
temperaments in various situations.  I didn't know what I was talking about,
and I still don't, so I'll shut up now.

Tom Sivak

P.S.
Sorry about the above post.  Pushed the wrong button and off it went before
it was done.