more on this temperament thing...

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:29:15 -0400

David,
The tuning of wind and string instruments is completely "just" tuning.
ET or HT temperament does not come into play at all. "Just" tuning is
referred to the tuning of absolutely pure intervals.
 Obviously most of these instruments are capable of playing only one note at
time so their tuning responsibilities have several criteria to meet:
Most orchestral instruments must be put into  good relative tune by the
player. That is, they must have a good semblance to concert A440 through out
the instrument in all octaves. The problem is  all orchestral instruments
are inherently relatively out of tune within themselves, so a good player
must thoroughly understand his/her instrument and no where the trouble spots
are.
Orchestral players must all have the ability to react and adjust their
tuning to be in tune with other instruments playing within that chord.
Absolutely pure octaves, 5ths,4ths, and even 3rds must be dead on clean.
So if the melody line is being played by an instrument which has a note
which tends to be sharp, then the other instruments playing within that
chord must adjust up or down to "just" tune to make that interval absolutely
pure.
The interesting aspect of playing in an orchestra is the pitch is constantly
changing to correct and adjust with whatever is being played.  Good case in
point, take a oboe player who basically plays very well in tune but has a
middle G which tends to play sharp. Good orchestras will adjust to  that
sharpness in a spilt second to "just" tune that particular sequence than
return back to the A440 pitch center.
So to answer your question, no... temperament does not play into wind and
string instruments tuning.
Again, as stated earlier, it's amazing that the orchestral tuning and the
tuning of a piano, be it ET or HT with all the complexities they require,
still exist and astound audiences as well as they have done.
Tom Servinsky,RPT