Steinway hammer alignment

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:17:07 -0400

>  and letting them go to the left enough to
> have a more healthy felt under the strings

No.  The piano was designed, agraffe holes, string spaced to tuning pins
and hitch pins, specifically so the correct hammer spacing is twice as
much felt on the right side of a unison as there is on the left side.
This is so the action needs to move the least amount possible for
unichorda effect.  In other words, it ain't broke, don't change the
design.

The  bass hammers are spaced to the left so they hit their respective
strings in the rest and in the unichorda position.

The action absolutely must be set up as I outlined previously in order
to make everything line up with each other.

Of course, in New York there have been some ...

		Newton