more on this temperament thing

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:25:21 -0700

My experience suggests that C8 at 43+ is not a conservative stretch but =
a fairly healthy one.  To my ear, I usually reduce the stretch (on the =
SATIII via the DOB).   On concert grands I seem to prefer it a bit under =
40.   On smaller grands and uprights, in the mid 30's.  Of course the =
general scaling does make a difference.  But generally I find the =
standard setting on a SATIII over stretches.  I am curious what other =
people find.

David Love=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 21, 2001 7:40 AM
  Subject: Re: more on this temperament thing

  Bill:

  You've talked quite a bit of your "tempered octaves" but as one who =
has seen everything from 2:1 octaves to outrageously stretched octaves I =
don't know what kind of stretch you're talking about.  Could you give us =
some numbers so we can know what you mean by tempered octaves? =20

  For example, when I tune a Steinway D my C6 is stretched to 5.06, C7 =
is 16.11, and C8 is 43.84.  This is what I consider a conservative =
tuning.  What kind of numbers do you get?  On any piano, just measure =
your C6, 7, & 8 and tell us what model piano it is, and how it stretches =
with your tempered octaves.  That would be very informative.

  Thanks,

  dave