Voicing M&H BB

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:00:20 -0400

I'll put his class on my list of "can't miss it" classes for Chicago. I =
have gone to his "tone building" class and can easily imagine him to be =
a great instructor for voicing. I'll do it!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Servinsky=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 6:32 AM
  Subject: Re: Voicing M&H BB

  Terry,
  You are ripe to start sitting in on Wally Brooks' voicing class. =
Actually voicing is very measurable and understandable once the audible =
premises are understood.
  Some examples:
  l. Does the initial attack ( the sound at the beginning of the sound) =
resemble "ta", "ba", or "whah". In other words, ta would resemble a hard =
hammers, ba would be a medium ( by choice), or whah, a pillow.
  Through voicing procedures those attacks can be adjusted up or down to =
suit. Each type of hammers requires different techniques to affect the =
outcome.  Another reason to know the hammers you use.
  2. Shape of sustain. Imagine the image of a bomb exploding...the =
impact, then the smoke rising, than a plume. The hammer impacting the =
string can create something of that image, first the impact, than a =
plume of sound, than a fall in volume, than a second rise in volume.
  This is probably the most fascinating and affecting part of voicing =
which makes a piano sing. That second rise is not always present, even =
in good pianos with good hammers.  It's the voicer's job to bring that =
affect out of the hammers.  Again, most hammers, due to their design and =
construction, will require different techniques to get the end result.
  Anyhow those are few the important measurable things which can help =
you with understanding voicing.
  Tom Servinsky,RPT
    ----- Original Message -----=20