SATlll vs Verituner

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:59:20 +0200

Don wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> In the real world ET is impossible.
>
> Verituner probably does a better job of "following the jags" than RCT or
> SAT3, but both RCT and SAT3 create a "smooth curve".
>
> Try this Richard. Use RCT, SAT3 or tunelab for the temperament only, then
> expand the octaves upwards favoriting P5th's. Then check the top octave
> against what RCT or tunelab suggests for the curve. I suspect you will find
> it jagged and quite different than the smooth curve scenario.

Been there, done that... results depend on the piano and how good of a day I am
having...

You try this one then Don... do the same as you suggested to me.. then use Tunelab
in a direct reference fashion to expand your octaves to whatever is your
preference.... doesnt matter as long as you do it consistantly.. for example set a
whole 13 note sequence of 4:2:1's... followed by straight 2:1's in whatever high
treble notes you have left. Then select RCT in a corresponding stretch and
compare.....and try and ask yourself why the results are what they are. Oh there
is lots and lots you can do with ETD's to learn more about what we do.

Perhaps we can even learn that the whole basic premis of the single partial smooth
curve is flawed.... or .... perhaps not. We wont ever know until we seriously try
and find out.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.