more on this temperament thing

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:42:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 6:07 AM
Subject: Re: more on this temperament thing

| Ric writes:
| <<I know a machine makes all of this easier, and perhaps the machine, of
| all the ironies, only makes historical tuning possible on modern pianos.
| So we are content with what the machine imposes....nah I wouldn't say
that.>>

|     Content with an impostion??  That is one perspective, however, the
| majority of pianists, in my experience, are more than content, they are
| stunned at how much they had been missing.  As far as "irony", I offer
two
| facts:
| 1.   history has shown that technology drives intonational changes.
| 2.   Intonation, in Western music, has changed continually since the days
of
| Pythagoras.
|
|    I would pose a question in return.  Are we to believe that with the
| realization of a true equal temperament, that the historical evolution of
| intonation has come to an end?
| Regards,
| Ed Foote RPT

Your questions begs other questions.  What do you mean by "intonation in
Western music".... or ---"with the realization" (of a certain temperament)
" that the historical evolution of intonation has come to an end."

How can we comprehend that the mere termpering of a piano has or can have
such a monumental effect on Western music?  ---ric