Insuring an action

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:31:30 EST

In a message dated 10/28/01 9:21:19 PM Central Standard Time,
erwinpiano@msn.com writes:

> Good advice that filled in the blanks where I left off.  The problem I have
> is that often times I may have 100 to200 thousand dollars worth of rebuilds
> going at one time and if the client has this kind of insurance it doesn't
> seem to make sense for them to pay for extra insurance when it is'nt
> needed. Give me your thoughts on this as it's always a sticky
> wicket/annoyance.

>From what I understand the way the insurance on the pianos in your shops is
this way. The insurance company will only pay the amount of the value of the
piano at the time of the loss. Lets say you bring in a M&H A that needs to be
completely rebuilt. The value of that instrument when it first enters the
shop is $3000. But then you take it apart. What is the value then? Maybe
$1000? But as you start the rebuilding process, adding new parts, refinishing
the case, etc., the piano becomes more and more valuable, until it reaches
it's full value at the end. So what happens if your place burns down when you
have it 50% completed. The way I understand it, you'll receive half the value
of the piano.

If you are constantly working on 10 or 15 pianos at the same time. You need
to have insurance that covers the full cost of all of them. When I had my
store and rebuilding shop, I was covered for the wholesale value of all the
new units, and the value of 3 Steinway B's. Not that I had 3 B's in my shop
all the time, but at any given time, I might be working on that much worth of
pianos, in the form of other actions, etc., at any one given time. But one
time I had to take 2 6'4" Pertofs to New Orleans and San Antonio on a
trailer. I asked my agent to put a rider on my policy that covered those to
pianos fully, liability and collision, for the days it took me to deliver the
pianos. When I got home, he took the rider off.

> I know when I leave my car at the dealers for repair that their signs
> specifically state
>  that they are not responsible for items left in the car but where does
> there or our responsibility lie. I guess I'm curious as to what I'm really
> liable for if a complete loss occured.

The car dealer is not responsible for items left in your car. That takes them
off the hook in case someone's lap top, cell phone or other personal effects
wind up missing after the car has been serviced. (Although a smart lawyer can
probably get the car dealer to pay for what ever is missing.) The dealer
doesn't say, however: "we are not responsible if the car is damaged or
stolen." You can be sure that your car is covered in the event it is damaged
or stolen, just as he is covered for all the cars on his lot, in his show
room and in the service bays in the event the place burns down, or gets hit
with a hale storm.

Wim