more on this temperament thing

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:47:50 EST

In a message dated 10/29/01 8:36:34 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

> Stravinsky's music
> seems to rely on equality,  I don't know if it would have been created for
> anything else.

I wonder why that Stravinsky piece I performed in last spring, The Symphony
of Psalms had very distinct character to it in the different keys it
modulated?  Why did it end in the solemn and still key of C?  Why not C# or B
or any other key if they are all the same?  In recalling the two orchestra
parts for piano, the way they were written would not have been adversely
affected by using a Victorian temperament (and perhaps a much stronger HT).
To say that this music was written for or required ET is a statement pulled
out of thin air.  It has no foundation in fact nor is there any evidence to
support it.

Stravinsky's music is harmonically complex but very tonal.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin