replacing back catch leathers.

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:31:44 EST

In a message dated 10/28/01 12:20:32 AM, remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

<< I wonder if a video of the

preperation and uses of hot glue could be done?  ---ric >>

That would be a great idea.  I would buy that video in an instant.  Written
words can't describe how to prepare this stuff.

Since I started out in this business there were three things that I put off
for as long as I could.  #1 was removing a spinet action (which, in
retrospect, wasn't really that difficult).  #2 was splicing a string (which I
did this past summer---that was pretty tough, but I got it...)  and #3 is
using hot hide glue.  I even bought a glue pot last year but I haven't tried
it out yet.

I recently replaced back catcher leather on a spinet with CA glue and it
worked fine.   I did almost asphyxiate myself from the fumes, though.  (Hot
hide glue doesn't smell very good, but it isn't toxic, is it?)

Tom Sivak
PTG Associate