Bouncing hammers.

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:59:26 -0500

At 11:27 AM 10/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,May I indulge with y'alls expertise.
>I have a Mason & Hamlin concert grand here that in the bass, the hammers
>bounce quite a bit after the note is being struck and the hammer returns to
>the rest rail. In fact it bounces so much that on a staccato blow sometimes
>it can hit the string/s again. I have a pianist that pointed it out to me.
>I played around with the adjustable hammer rest rail. If the rail is close
>to the hammers, it seems like it is worse. The only deduction I can come up
>with is that the hammers are too heavy. But really they are not.
>BTW. The pinning is fine.
>How can I avoid this problem? Why is it doing it only in the bass?
>Thanks.
>Regards.
>Victor

If the hammers are returning to the rest rail when the note is played the
hammers are not checking-in properly.
Have them check-in 5/8" from the string. Also check to see if the jack is
clearing the knuckle during check-in.
The hammer will bobble on the jack if is not clear of the knuckle, but it
doesn't sound like that is the problem.

Check key dip, hammer blow and letoff to see if something is not right
there. My money is on poor checking.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.