Changing Inharmonicity

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:23:11 -0500

Hi David,

It was my practice, when I had 145 pianos to care for, to write or tag
the piano with the best set of numbers I got for it.  This way, if I got
numbers I didn't like I would use the old numbers, or if I got what I
thought were better numbers than the old I would change them.  I always
used felt pens with water soluble ink.

In the case of having two pianos in the same room I would average the
two set of values.  As I listened to the two pianos after tuning I might
adjust the values so that next time I would, hopefully, get a better
tuning.

Bear in mind that all this number stuff was in an effort to get an ever
so better a tuning for all the pianos in my care.  This was a game I was
playing for my benefit, the differences in terms of what the piano would
sound like would be imperceptible by the customer, performer, teacher,
practiceroom user or private customer.

I have always, for 35 years, tried for that extra little edge.  Even
being the dirty old man I am I can learn a new trick or two.

As for the importance of the 8th partial of F3, it is the value the SAT
I and II use for it's calculation.  No real value to us persons but of
value to the calculations.

Have a nice scary evening!

		Newton