Temperament Arguments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:27:32 EST

List,

There's too much to copy.  Ed Foote made my points for me regarding
Stravinsky.  My point has been that 20th Century music does not *require* ET.
Last year, a French pianist played a 3 hour concert of *all* of Ravel's works
at Farley's House of Pianos in 1/7 Comma Meantone.  Nothing "fell apart".
Others besides me have noted the enhancement of Debussy's music in a
Victorian Temperament.  I play "Gershwin Plays Gershwin" on my Pianodisc in
EBVT and hear the character of the keys and enhanced musical quality during
modulation, not undue roughness, strident intervals or a distinctly out of
tune sound.

HR draws an analogy to asparagus, a vegetable I personally happen to crave
and which sells generally for a fairly steep price.  Obviously, *some* people
must like it or it wouldn't be in the produce section.  Some people are also
very finicky and want only the smoothest, most bland offerings.  I have noted
time and again that those who insist that they only like ET desire to impose
their values on everyone else, often offering blatant misconceptions to
support their ideas.

Instrumental ensembles do not play in temperaments as such, that's true.
BUT, the relative intensity of the various keys of the cycle of 5ths is
reflected in the intensity of the *vibrato* used.  Vocalists and
instrumentalists can and do vary the size of their intervals.  Cycle of 5ths
based temperaments *always* make ensemble intonation easier.  It is ET that
often provides an inappropriate intensity.

I find Tom C's contention that "instrumentalists have complained" highly
suspect.  If these instrumentalists were told that the piano was somehow
tuned differently, that alone is enough of a suggestion to provide the
scapegoat for a complaint.  I have also known of instances where an HT was
used but the pitch was non standard.  Of course the intonation problems were
blamed on the temperament, not the pitch.

I would like for David Love to produce one *single* example of any music from
any period that has smooth and harmonious harmony in Ab modulating to an
intense and vibrant C Major.  It doesn't happen.  Show me one single piece of
20th Century music that does *not* work in a Victorian Temperament, including
Body & Soul.  Show me one single example of 20th Century music in which the
key signature does *not* conform to the theory of Key Color offered by Cycle
of 5ths based Tempering.  You can search the entire library but you'll never
find a single example.  This goes for the so-called "Atonal" music too, not
to mention polyphonic and serial music.  It all works with mild, Victorian
type temperaments.

William Braide White taught the premise of ET, yes and seemed to say that the
only alternative was "Meantone".  He did not, however, offer enough
information for most people to really tune a true ET.  I wonder if he even
did himself?  His description of the Key Colors of Meantone is exactly
backwards.  I wonder if Braide White, rather than being the pioneer of ET
tuning was really the founder of Reverse Well?

David Love's suggestion that the argument regarding Key Color begins to "fall
apart" cannot be supported.  It is as if he were saying color film should
never be used just in case someone might take a picture of someone with blue
hair.  If we only used black and white film, we'd never know, therefore, only
black and white film should ever be used to photograph everything.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin